This week we kick started our Virtual Skype Career Tour with the very own HGTV star, Kristan Cunningham. Kristan is the former host of Design on a Dime and is now working on a new show that will air on the OWN Network.
Our call started with a brief introduction, where Kristan outlined her educational background and work experiences. For the remainder of the call, we interviewed Kristan about skills and preparation needed to the perks and challenges of her career. Before the call, we researched expectations in the arts field and came up with specific questions for interior designing.
Throughout the call, we had different Skype jobs. The three main jobs were super stars, question keepers, and blog writers. The super stars were in charge of answering the call as well as greeting and interviewing our guest. The question keepers kept track of the questions being asked and came up with any questions that may have come up during the call. The blog writers were responsible for taking notes of key points that could be mentioned in this blog post.
Here are some things that we learned about Kristan Cunningham:
- She always wanted to be an interior designer. She has subscribed to design magazines since she was 11.
- She has worked in television for 10 years.
- She now lives in Los Angeles, California with her husband and two dogs; Beans and Floyd.
- She has helped with Habitat for Humanity.
- She likes her career because she enjoys helping people and making a difference in their lives.
- She gets her inspiration from all kinds of things and people around her.
- She prefers magazines to blogs for finding inspiration for her designs.
Here is what we learned about interior design:
- There is a difference between being a decorator and an interior designer. You need to go to school to become an interior designer.
- It is important to have a passion in this field.
- Math is really important in this field.
- There is no typical day in the life of an interior designer, especially if you’re a star like Kristan is!
Here are some videos of our interview:
We were even featured on the local news!